Wednesday 20 May 2015

Chapter 2 - A. Tonal column in stitchery.

For chapter 2a, I first had to make a tonal column using a counted thread stitch on canvas.  I had to use black and white threads only but they could be of various thicknesses, the sample was to be 4 x 12cms. Working in cross stitch.
I feel that my sample was quite successful.














In chapter 2 part b, I was asked to look at a decorative filling technique called Blackwork, this was a popular method of fabric decoration in Elizabethan England. Using black pen and graph paper I have drawn some designs in a gradual state of development that shows tone.



























The next step was to make three stitched columns;
1. Showing tone by pattern development,
2. Showing tone by the spacing of stitches,
3. Showing tone by thicknesses of threads.



























Time spent on chapter 2 over pages 7 and 8, 11 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment